Postdoc Position in Biological Deep Learning (100%)
A 2-year postdoc position is available from January 1st, 2021 for a researcher with an interest in computational neuroscience, and machine learning.
The position will be based at the University of Bern, in Switzerland, at the Department of Physiology, under the joint-supervision of Walter Senn and Mihai Petrovici. Our groups focus on biologically realistic models of spatio-temporal processing in recurrent cortical networks and their relation to reinforcement learning, Bayesian computing, and neuromorphic implementations.
The position devoted to the modeling of learning in deep cortical networks is part of a collaboration with Profs Fritjof Helmchen and Giacomo Indiveri supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation. The successful candidate will work on formalizing the dendritic processing of cortical pyramidal neurons, in particular in combining top-down and bottom-up information, and in integrating these neurons in deep networks.
- PhD in computational neuroscience, applied mathematics and/or physics or a related discipline
- Experience with machine learning / computational modeling
- Funding for 2 years following regulations of the University of Bern (extendable through other funding)
- Interdisciplinary & international research environment
- Interaction with experimental neuroscience and close collaboration with other labs in artificial intelligence and neuromorphic engineering.
Walter Senn (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mihai Petrovici (email@example.com), with Virginie Sabado (firstname.lastname@example.org) in cc.
Informal inquiries are welcome.