Doctoral Researcher: Managing the Creeping Crisis
KPM Center for Public Management
Expected start-date: 01.01.2024 or to be agreed
Contract length: 4 years max.
Salary: SNF salary scale Unibe, gross pay approx. 7900.00 incl. 13. monthly salary
Are you passionate about improving crisis management? Do you enjoy engaging in research and want to become part of an international research community? Are you interested in how governments can successfully manage creeping crises, sometimes called slow-burning crises, such as energy shortfall crises and climate change, where prolonged challenges escalate quickly, reaching critical points where potential threats become urgent crises? If you answered these questions with “yes”, then this job is for you!
At the KPM Center for Public Management of the University of Bern, we have an exciting opening for a doctoral position. The position is part of a project funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) entitled “Managing the Creeping Crisis”, which is jointly carried out by researchers at the KPM of the University of Bern in collaboration with the Swiss Graduate School of Public Administration (IDHEAP) of the University of Lausanne. You will be attached to the research unit directed by Prof. Dr. Adrian Ritz at KPM. You will be part of a team with a modern, autonomous working culture.
The project takes a mixed-method approach, using quantitative and qualitative data and methods to investigate multiple research questions related to the management of creeping crises in Switzerland.
- Master degree, or near completion, in public management, management, political science or related disciplines.
- Skilled in qualitative and quantitative methods, and willingness to refine your methodological skills.
- Knowledge of the Swiss political and administrative system is an asset.
- Passionate about learning and reliable, creative, take-charge personality.
- Able to work autonomously and deliver results on time.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- German skills are necessary.
- Attractive salary and excellent work conditions in a strategic center at the University of Bern.
- Multicultural and diverse work environment in a team spanning two Swiss universities.
- Access to national and international training programs and conference visits.