Department of Clinical Research
60% to 80% starting in Winter 2020
The open position is within the "DIALOGUE Study: Using digital health to improve care for families with predisposition to hereditary cancer." The study received funding from the Swiss National Science Foundation and is a bilateral collaboration with S. Korea. The specific aims are to develop a web-based platform to support communication about cancer predisposition among HBOC families; expand a web-based research infrastructure developed in Switzerland for a family-based cohort to S. Korea; evaluate the efficacy of the web-based platform; and assess outcomes regarding the successful implementation of the platform in Switzerland and in S. Korea.
The successful applicant will work under the supervision of the Principal Investigator (Prof. Dr. Maria Katapodi) and collaborate with members of the CASCADE Consortium in Switzerland and the KOHBRA Consortium in S. Korea.
The objectives of the advertised PhD position are to:
• Assist in the development of the online platform
• Assume responsibility for recruitment of participants, data entry and data management, development of baseline and follow up surveys, data analyses, and dissemination of findings with manuscripts and conference presentations.
• Assist in efforts to obtain additional funding for the DIALOGUE Study.
• Support Prof. Dr. Katapodi in academic and management tasks.
• We are looking for a dynamic, reliable, and motivated student with a Master's degree in clinical research, epidemiology, nursing, psychology, public health, or other health related sciences with outstanding grades an evidence of scholarship.
• Strong quantitative methodology and statistical skills and good knowledge of common computer programs (e.g. Word) and statistical analyses programs such as R, SAS, SPSS etc.
• Proficiency in English and German/Swiss German (speaking and writing); proficiency in French and/or Italian (speaking and writing) is an asset.
• Ability to work independently in an interdisciplinary and international team, flexibility, ability to meet tight deadlines.
• Experience in oncology and/or cancer epidemiology and/or web-based platforms is advantageous.
We offer you
• The research will be carried out within a 4-year project that starts in November 2019. The successful candidate will have access to data from the DIALOGUE study and will determine the focus of his/her PhD thesis under the auspices of Prof. Dr. Katapodi and with the collaboration of members of the CASCADE and KOHBRA Consortia, in Switzerland and Korea, respectively.
• Prof. Dr. Katapodi leads an innovation-driven team aiming to address healthcare needs of families affected by hereditary cancer syndromes within a multidisciplinary context.
• The Department of Clinical Research is a stimulating international working environment with opportunities for collaborative relationships with outstanding leading interdisciplinary teams.
• Training experiences are embedded in the educational and research infrastructure of the Faculty of Medicine, the Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+) and the Inter-university Graduate Campus (IGC).
• Compensation according to the official payment structure of the Swiss National Science Foundation for PhD level students.